Do you need a Singapore work pass? Here’s what you need to know about Singapore’s work pass availability.


Do you have plans to work in Singapore? Then you might be looking into the different work pass options that are available to you based on your visa status and country of origin. You can also read up on how to get a work pass in Singapore, but first, let’s take a look at some quick facts and figures about the availability of work passes in Singapore!

What are work passes?

Work passes are documents that allow foreign workers to work in Singapore. There are different types of work passes, and the type of pass that a foreign worker needs depends on his or her skills, qualifications, and job duties. In general, there are three categories of work passes: employment passes, S Passes, and Work Permits.

The Employment Pass (EP) is the most common type of work pass used by foreign workers in Singapore. To qualify for an EP, applicants must have a minimum monthly salary of $3,600 and must possess relevant qualifications and skillsets.

The S Pass is meant for mid-skilled workers who earn a monthly salary of at least $2,200. They cannot hold managerial positions and can only stay in Singapore for two years before needing to renew their status. Workers with the S Pass can apply for permanent residency after staying with the same employer for five years, or after living in Singapore with a PR status for 10 years.

The Work Permit is the final category of work pass available in Singapore. It is reserved for low-skilled employees whose monthly salary does not exceed $1,000. Foreigners who receive this permit do not need any qualification requirements, but they do require sponsorship from their employer. Unlike other categories of work permits, foreigners who receive this permit cannot apply for permanent residency through staying with one employer too long or through residing in Singapore as a PR citizen over time – they will always be considered temporary residents.

Typical employers for applying for work passes

The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is the main authority that issues work passes in Singapore. To be eligible for a work pass, you must first have an offer of employment from a prospective employer. The employer will then need to submit an application on your behalf to MOM.

There are different types of work passes available, each with their own eligibility requirements. For example, the Employment Pass is typically reserved for foreign professionals who hold tertiary qualifications and earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $3,600.

The Work Permit, on the other hand, is intended for semi-skilled foreign workers who perform manual jobs such as construction or cleaning. These foreigners also require a fixed monthly salary of at least $1,900. Finally, there is the S Pass which is granted to non-professional skilled foreigners who provide specialist skills and are paid more than $2,200 per month. These permits may also be obtained by Foreigners Permanent Residents who meet certain criteria – one criterion being they have been living in Singapore for two years before applying.

Pros and cons of getting a work pass

There are many pros and cons to getting a work pass in Singapore. On one hand, it allows you to live and work in the country for an extended period of time. On the other hand, it can be difficult to obtain a work pass, and there is always the possibility that it may not be renewed.

Here are some things to consider if you are thinking about applying for a work pass in Singapore -The applicant must have at least six months of living experience in Singapore.

  1. Employers should have been paying into the Central Provident Fund (CPF) with each paycheck they make to their employee(s).
  2. The employer will also need to apply for a Long Term Visit Pass or Employment Pass for their employees who want to apply for a work permit.
  3. If you’re going through this process on your own, expect that it will take several months before your application will be processed and approved. If your employer applies on your behalf, however, they can do so within two weeks’ time but they’ll have to pay an additional S$1,000 (about US$750) fee. Keep in mind that the number of available work permits for foreign nationals fluctuates depending on demand and supply. The cost of a Long Term Visit Pass or Employment Pass depends on which type you apply for as well as whether you apply online or not. It costs S$30 (US$23) per month to renew a Long-Term Visit Pass while an Employment Pass costs $6,000 (US$4,600) upfront plus around $2,500 (US$1,800) per year thereafter.

It’s also important to take into consideration their experience level when choosing which company will be right for you. For example, if you have never had to deal with taxation before, then it might be best to go with a more experienced company that has dealt with cases like yours before.

A step by step guide on how you can get started

  1. Research the different types of agencies available in Singapore.
  2. Find an agency that specializes in the type of job you’re looking for.
  3. Ask for referrals from friends or family who have used a recruitment agency before.
  4. Meet with the agency’s representative to discuss your needs and expectations.
  5. Sign a contract with the agency.
  6. Start searching for job opportunities through the agency’s website or job board.
  7. Attend interviews and land your dream job! The key to success is finding the right recruitment agency, having realistic expectations, and following these six steps.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here